Monday, July 6, 2009

Real Food, Whole Food, Nutrient-Dense Food

Real food, whole food, and nutrient-dense food is best. This should be your mantra as you transition to eating to live. Pay special attention to how your body responds to food. Ask yourself: Are you still eating, but you are actually full? Are you actually eating 1 portion or 3? Do you have an appropriate balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates at each meal? Are you satisfied after you eat? Do you snack mindlessly throughout the day? The following is a list of a few simple meal suggestions. There are billions of recipes out there, so I encourage you to experiment with what you like and eliminate what you don’t. 

Breakfast 

Two eggs in real butter, add a dollop of sour cream, salsa or sauerkraut, add two pieces of nitrate free bacon

Full-fat yogurt (unsweetened) with fresh fruit,  and some nuts and/or seeds

Oatmeal with butter or nut butter, a touch of maple syrup, raisins and nuts

Fruit Smoothie: blend yogurt, coconut milk, berries, a small amount of maple syrup and possibly a few raw, organic eggs (for the adventurous)

Lunch

Rich vegetable and meat sauce with pasta or rice (olive oil, tomato paste, whole tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, onion, garlic and whatever vegetables and meat you prefer)

Salad greens with a variety of raw vegetables and a salad dressing, add tuna, chicken, turkey or egg salad

Soups and stews: Lentil, chicken with rice, black bean, cream of broccoli, beef stew (the sky is the limit with this)

Quiche: a standard whole grain crust made with eggs, half n’ half, spices and whatever filling you desire, add a salad

Simple crudités in addition to whole grain crackers, salmon cream cheese or sardine in olive oil or mustard

Dinner

Coconut milk curries with fresh vegetables and/or meat served over brown rice

Stir-fry, grilled meat, seafood or vegetables serve over a green salad

Simple Mexican food: salad, beans, rice, salsa, sirloin, and raw cheese

Simple Mediterranean food: hummus, tabouleh, felafel or juicy lamb

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I thought you would like to know that after camping with family last week and not having a ton of control over my meals, I came home feeling pretty icky. So yesterday I said, "Enough!" and I went to the grocery store and focused on getting whole foods and low-sugar foods, stuff that my great-great-grandmother would recognize.

    I took a couple hours to cook some red beans and rice and roasted chicken -- enough to last for a few days. I am amazed -- when I'm eating REAL food I'm not hungry every 15 minutes. And it felt so good to cook real food like that. So easy and delicious.

    I also got more coconut oil and I found Stevia for baking, which I've heard over and over is a natural sugar substitute, so I'm hoping that will make baking more fun for me. :)

    Anyway, thanks for giving me these ideas to come back to. They're helping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! The more you educate yourself and experiment with food that supports health the better you will feel. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Eat To Live Nutrition by Traci A. Goodrich is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.